Monday, June 19, 2006

The Lions Suck

No posts this week out of protest over the slightly pointless rugby tests we had to put up with.

Instead I went to see the Brisbane Lions play. Now I am as likely as the next man to get on a bandwagon- and like all good Brisbaneites will also get off the bandwagon very quickly, and as such I havne't actually watched any lions games this year- as they aren't winning.

I went to see them on saturday night (in a corporate box no less) and was very disapointed with their performance. Everyone keeps on saying that they are rebuilding and are young, but to my eyes they weren't great. The Bulldogs players were getting around unmarked all night- it should be the first rule of AFL if your defending get on your man - it doesn't matter how old you are.

On a higher note, my old school captain Chelsea was solid behind the goals - although I do ahve to wonder do you really need to wear footy boots if your a Goal Umpire?

In other news this week- I thought the Argentinians were great in the soccer, 6-0. They face the Netherlands in a couple of days which should be the best match of the cup. I was also impressed by Beckham, and Christian Ronaldo. The Aussies fought on bravely and were unlucky to lose.

Geoff Ogivily also won the US open - which is huge, I was watching all weekend (no sleep) and i didn't think it was much of a tournament. Truely great championships are run on courses that capture the imagination- after watching a few rounds you should know the course well. Know the money holes and know the hard holes - but this stupid winged foot was just rediculous. However, Ogivily is a champ and a solid Aussie. Two huge wins now this year - hopefully he can also win a British Open or a PGA and get a really solid spot in the history of golf.

Go you good thing.

No comments: